Gums are often a forgotten part of oral health. In the effort to keep teeth healthy and cavity-free, people often forget the impact that unhealthy gums can have on their oral health. But do you know just how large of an impact gum disease
can have? Take this quiz from your Allen dentist
, Dr. Marco Cueva, and find out.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: Gingivitis is not serious because it is only the inflammation of the gums.
- True or False: Gum disease is caused by bacteria.
- True or False: Gum disease is not capable of causing tooth loss.
- True or False: Laser therapy can be used to treat gum disease.
Check Your Answers
- False. While it is true that gingivitis is indeed the inflammation of the gums, it is not true that gingivitis isn’t serious. The bacteria that cause gingivitis actually inhibit the immune system from attacking them. Thus gingivitis lingers and eventually can progress into periodontitis, a more damaging form of gum disease.
- True. Gingivitis often develops because of the presence of bacteria on teeth near the gum line. Thus in an effort to prevent gum disease, angle the bristles of your toothbrush toward the gum line and floss regularly.
- False. Periodontitis attacks the base of teeth as well as the surrounding tissues and ligaments. As periodontitis inflicts damage, teeth become looser and may eventually fall out.
- True. Your Allen dentist, Dr. Cueva, offers periodontal laser therapy to help treat periodontitis. The procedure uses a laser to decontaminate the area between teeth and gums. By killing the bacteria that cause gum disease, gum health is improved. Periodontal laser therapy limits the need for root planing and scaling, which can result in greater comfort for gum disease patients.
Schedule a Visit with Your Allen Dentist
If you exhibit any symptoms of gum disease, don’t wait to seek dental care. Gum disease
can progress quickly and do serious damage to your oral health. Schedule an appointment
with your Allen
dentist, Dr. Cueva, today. Our 75013 dental office welcomes patients from Allen, Plano, Richardson, McKinney, Frisco, Fairview, Murphy, Wylie, Lewisville, Carrolton, and surrounding communities.
Currently rated by 0 people