Do you frequently feel drowsy during the day? Do you experience chronic snoring that makes sleep for you or your significant other difficult? If so, you may be exhibiting the common signs of obstructive sleep apnea, or OSA. Sleep apnea affects over ten million people in the United States. Fortunately, treatment is available for this sleep disorder. In today’s blog, your Allen periodontist
, Marco Cueva, uses a fun quiz to explain how to recognize the signs of sleep apnea.
Sleep Apnea Quiz
1. True or False: There are multiple symptoms of sleep apnea.
2. True or False: Without treatment, sleep apnea may lead to a number of serious medical complications.
3. True or False: Lifestyle changes may reduce sleep apnea symptoms.
4. True or False: Your Allen TX periodontist
offers treatment for sleep apnea.
1. True. Common symptoms of sleep apnea include: Snoring, daytime drowsiness, irritability, an inability to focus at work or school, waking up gasping or choking, and depression. Sleep apnea forms when the soft tissue in the back of the throat blocks airflow, causing the patient to stop breathing. Deprived of oxygen, the brain wakes the patient up to start breathing. This process may occur hundreds of times a night.
2. True. Sleep apnea increases the risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack. Patients also experience the risk of falling asleep behind the wheel or while operating heavy machinery.
3. True. In some cases losing weight and avoiding alcohol and caffeine before bed may decrease sleep apnea symptoms.
4. True. Dr. Cueva may recommend an intraoral device to address sleep apnea. Similar to a night guard, this device repositions the jaw to prevent soft tissue from obstructing airflow. This allows easy breathing and ends sleep apnea symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Allen TX Periodontist
Do you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea? Then talk to your Allen TX periodontist
today. Dr. Cueva will diagnose the cause and severity of your sleep disorder and prescribe the most appropriate treatment. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Cueva by calling our 75013 dentist office
at (972) 390-9944 today. We proudly welcome patients from Allen, Plano, Richardson, McKinney, Frisco, Fairview, Murphy, Wylie, Lewisville, Carrolton, and surrounding communities.
Currently rated by 0 people