If you or someone close to you has not faced the sometimes–daunting task of replacing a tooth, it may be difficult to weigh the pros and cons of the different tooth replacement options. With dental implant placement, a post made of titanium is surgically inserted into the upper or lower jaw bone. The titanium post is readily accepted by your body, and your jawbone will eventually form a bond with the implant similar to the bond that existed between the old tooth and the jaw. Once your jawbone heals, a dental crown can be connected to the implant’s abutment, which protrudes above the gum line, to complete your tooth-replacement process.
But what exactly are the advantages of dental implants versus fixed bridges or removable dentures?
The Advantages of Dental Implants:
- An implant looks, feels, and acts like a natural tooth root
- Dr. Cueva’s “Teeth-in-a Day” procedure places your implant with one single procedure, taking away the need for multiple doctor’s visits
- Adjacent teeth do not need to be filed to make room for the artificial tooth
- A dental implant’s post can last for life, with proper care and maintenance
- A dental implant may enable you to retain more jaw bone than in other tooth replacement options
Another option is the fixed bridge. A fixed bridge fills the gap where the tooth was lost. With a fixed bridge, the healthy, adjacent teeth are sculpted to accommodate the bridge. The custom-made bridge is situated on top of the prepared teeth and cemented into place.
Disadvantages of Fixed Bridges:
- Because the healthy teeth are filed to accept the bridge, these teeth may become more susceptible to tooth decay, and the possible need for future root canals
- It is difficult to adequately clean under the replacement tooth (the pontic), which can increase your chances of developing bacteria-induced gum disease
Lastly, in removable partial dentures, the replacement teeth are attached to a plastic base that matches the colors of the gums. The partial dentures can be taken out of the mouth at any time for cleaning purposes.
Disadvantages of Removable Partial Dentures:
- Many people do not like having to take their teeth out at night
- Partial dentures may not feel as secure as dental implants
- They can be lost or broken when not in place
- Can become awkward or ill-fitting
If you are looking for an effective, long-lasting, and sturdy tooth replacement option, dental implants may provide you with the solution you’ve been searching for.
ABOUT YOUR ALLEN IMPLANT DENTIST:
If you would like to speak to Dr. Marco Cueva about dental implants, please call 972-390-9944 to schedule a consultation at Allen, TX, dental office. Dr. Cueva is a board-certified periodontist with extensive experience placing and restoring dental implants.