Did you know gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in the United States? According to findings from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the presence of advanced gum disease, or periodontitis, increases the risk of tooth loss. At Periodontic Excellence, we can identify the factors behind your gum issues, improving the health and stability of your smile. Your Allen TX, periodontist, Dr. Marco Cueva, explains the causes of gum disease and discusses our array of innovative treatment options.
What is Gum Disease?
In the United States alone, over 50% of adults suffer from mild to severe periodontal disease. Gum disease develops when inflamed gums pull away from the teeth. Soon, pockets are exposed between the teeth and gums along the gum line. Once bacteria invade these pockets, gum disease begins. Eventually, periodontal disease will cause the connective tissue between your teeth and gums to deteriorate, elevating your risk of losing teeth.
Common Causes of Periodontal Disease
What causes the inflammation behind gum disease? Recognizing the cause of gum disease is the first step towards treatment. Common factors behind periodontal disease include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- The use of certain medications
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Certain illnesses, including cancer, HIV, and type-2 diabetes
- Family history of periodontal disease
During a consultation, your Allen, TX periodontist will perform a thorough oral examination, using x-rays to peer below the gum line and discover the cause of your gum disease. If you experience the common symptoms of gum disease, including sore, red gums that bleed easily, bad breath, receding gums, pockets at the gum line, or loose teeth, contact Periodontic Excellence today.
Treatment Options from Periodontic Excellence
Your Allen, TX peridontist offers treatment for both gum disease and periodontitis, which include:
- Teeth Cleaning: A preventive option for addressing periodontal disease. A simple dental cleaning helps patients avoid the onset of gum disease, protecting your smile.
- Scaling and Root Planing: A nonsurgical treatment option, scaling involves removing plaque and tartar buildup to reduce gum inflammation. Planing allows our professionals to smooth the root surface, allowing healthy gum tissue to adhere to the tooth.
- Periodontal Surgery: With this surgical procedure, we can remove infected tissue with precision and ease, treating your gum disease.
About Dr. Marco Cueva: Marco Cueva, DDS, MS is a board-certified periodontist with extensive training in periodontology and implantology. New patients can schedule an appointment or a consultation with Periodontic Excellence by calling 972-390-9944.